About Oral Cancer
Most people are surprised to learn that one American dies every hour from oral cancer; a death rate that has remained virtually unchanged for more than 40 years. In fact, recent statistics published by the American Cancer Society indicate that while the incidence and death rates for cancers overall has decreased, the incidence of oral cancer has increased by 5.5% and the death rate has increased by 1.5%. Oral cancer is far too often discovered in late stage development, the primary reason for the consistently high death rate. Oral cancer treatment often results in disfiguring effects on patients, and can seriously compromise their quality of life. Early detection and diagnosis can make a tremendous difference in life expectancy; oral cancer is 90% curable when found in its early stages. Unfortunately, 70% of oral cancers are diagnosed in the late stages, III and IV, leading to a five-year survival rate of 57%.
The Deadly Statistics
- Every hour of every day, one American dies of oral cancer
- The mortality rate associated with oral cancer has not improved significantly in the last 40 years.
- The death rate in the United States for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin's disease, cancer of the brain, liver, testes, kidney or ovary
- More than 30,000 Americans will receive an oral cancer diagnosis this year. In five years, only 57% of them will still be alive
- 27% of oral cancer victims do not use tobacco or alcohol and have no other lifestyle risk factors
About ViziLite TBlue
ViziLite TBlue is used to help Dr. Mina Levi identify, evaluate, monitor and mark abnormal oral cell lesions suspicious for pathology including precancerous and cancerous cells that may be difficult to see during a regular visual exam.
ViziLite TBlue advantages:
- Quick and easy-to-use system that incorporates seamlessly into your standard visual examination - procedure only takes 2 minutes to complete
- Small device size enables easier access to see and focus light inside the oral cavity
- Disposable technology eliminates cross-contamination and improves infection control
- Patented and clinically proven technology that has been helping healthcare professionals for more than a decade
A clinical study has shown that the use of ViziLite TBlue after a conventional visual examination resulted in:
- No false negative outcomes
- Meaning in this clinical study ViziLite TBlue identified every lesion that had precancerous or cancerous cells
- Significantly reduced the number of false positive lesions identified during standard visual examinations – limiting the number of biopsies that may have normally been performed