If you have chronic headaches, facial pain, or an uncomfortable bite, your discomfort may stem from misaligned Temporomandibular joints. These joints, commonly referred to as TMJs, work together with the lower jaw and teeth to allow for proper oral function. TMJ disorder can result from injury, increased stress, or genetics, and it’s fairly common in our society. Your symptoms will be diagnosed and suggestions can be made to alleviate your pain and restore oral function.
Symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- Facial pain, headaches, or migraines
- Jaw clicking or popping
- Teeth grinding/tooth wear
- Back, neck, and shoulder pain
- Dizziness or ringing in the ears
Treatments for TMJ disorder include:
In general, it is recommended that patients with TMJ disorder avoid hard foods, take small bites, and chew slowly. Dr. Mina Levi may also recommend sleeping on your side or wearing an oral appliance at night to eliminate teeth grinding. Your TMJ therapy program will depend on the severity of your case and the extent of damage.
- Jaw repositioning with a custom oral appliance
- Nightguards for bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Bite building with restorative dentistry
- Focused facial relaxation and tension-relief exercises
- Lifestyle changes
Find the way to eliminate your chronic pain!
Call us today at (415) 513-5066 to schedule a TMJ consultation with Dr. Mina Levi