What are my treatment options for periodontal disease?
The good news is that you can help prevent periodontal (gum) disease by taking good care of your teeth every day and having regular dental checkups. Here's how to keep your teeth and gums healthy:
- Brush Your Teeth Well Twice A Day. This removes the film of bacteria from the teeth. Be sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush that is in good condition. Toothpastes and mouth rinses containing fluoride strengthen the teeth and help prevent decay. Choose products that bear the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance, your assurance that they have met the ADA's standards for safety and effectiveness. The ADA reviews all advertising claims for any product bearing the Seal. The Seal on a product is an assurance for consumers and dentists against misleading or untrue statements concerning a product's safety and effectiveness.
- Clean between your teeth every day. Cleaning between your teeth with floss or interdental cleaners removes bacteria and food particles from between the teeth, where a toothbrush can't reach. Early periodontal (gum) disease can often be reversed by daily brushing and flossing. If you use interdental cleaners, ask Dr. Mina Levi how to use them properly, to avoid injuring your gums.
- Eat a balanced diet. Choose a variety of foods from the basic food groups, such as breads, cereals and other grain products; fruits; vegetables; meat, poultry and fish; and dairy products, such as milk, cheese and yogurt. Limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly. It is important to have regular dental checkups, and professional cleaning is essential to prevent periodontal diseases.
SRP (Scaling and Root Planing)
+ Laser Dentistry
SRP (Scaling and Root Planing) is an effective gum disease treatment. In this procedure, Dr. Mina Levi will clean plaque and tartar from your teeth and roots. SRP can remove much of the plaque below your gumline. This is where bacteria produce toxins that irritate your gums and cause gum infections. But sometimes SRP alone isn’t enough to get all the bacteria behind gum disease, and periodontitis may occur. Periodontitis is an active, persistent infection. ARESTIN® (minocycline HCl) is a sustained release, locally applied antibiotic that targets the red complex bacteria underlying the active, persistent infection of periodontal disease. It’s a powder composed of 100,000 tiny microspheres that release antibiotics over time. In a single visit, Dr. Mina Levi will add ARESTIN® to the pocket between your gum and tooth. It’s a painless procedure, and by adding ARESTIN® to SRP, you receive the benefits of comprehensive treatment that's superior to scaling and root planning alone:
- Decreased bleeding on probing
- Immediate and sustained reductions in harmful periodontal bacteria to healthier levels
- A healthier oral environment for 30 days, so healing can begin
- Decreased pocket depth
Best of all, ARESTIN® keeps working long after you leave the office.
Combined with laser treatment to kill remaining bacteria in the gum pocket after your scaling and root planning procedure, patients will be placed on a periodontal maintenance cleaning routine to continue maintaining the health of their gums.