The laser is a minimally invasive revolutionary surgical tool that has been used in dentistry for over twenty-five years for various procedures. The safety and control that lasers provide allows Dr. Mina Levi to perform precise procedures without worrying about damaging the tissues in your mouth. Lasers also seal off blood vessels and nerve endings and prevent bleeding inside the mouth, greatly reducing postoperative pain and swelling.
How does Dr. Mina Levi use the laser?
Dental lasers perform a variety of operations, all of which have different techniques. Typically, Dr. Mina Levi will examine the tissue that surrounds your teeth. Using a laser, Dr. Mina Levi will gently reshape the soft tissue to give you the best aesthetic result. Lasers are a gentle and non-invasive surgical tool which often require little or no anesthetic. Below is a list of soft tissue procedures that Dr. Levi uses a laser for:
1. Gingivectomy: This is where Dr. Mina Levi gently shapes the excess tissue that surrounds the front of your tooth so that the tooth proportions are even and the smile line is aesthetically pleasing.
2. Troughing: This procedure requires Dr. Mina Levi to cut a thin line around your tooth, providing a gentle way for the final restoration (crown, etc) to fit well and look good. The process is quicker, less painful and bloodless, compared to the traditional retraction cord system.
3. Frenectomy: Dr. Mina Levi performs this procedure to remove unwanted attachments that can cause speech impediments. It is performed in minutes and is the ultimate cure for patients who are "tongue-tied".
4. Herpetic Lesions (cold sores): Lasers are often used to prevent cold sores before they have a chance to break out. When you feel a sore developing, talk to Dr. Mina Levi and prevent the problem before it occurs
5. Aphthous Ulcers (canker sores): Laser treatment can also be used to cure canker sores. The problem is treated in seconds often before it causes pain.
Are diode lasers new to dentistry?
Diode lasers have been used in medicine for over twenty-five years. More and more dentists make the decision to switch to laser dentistry each year. This allows for the evolution of more sophisticated technology and more accurate procedures. The FDA has cleared all laser procedures listed above.
When will I need laser therapy?
Lasers can perform a variety of operations in dentistry, but they are not used for every procedure. Dr. Levi will determine what works the best for you.
Why does Dr. Mina Levi use a laser?
Lasers have many different uses in today's dental offices; they allow dentists to perform procedures with more accuracy and with less damage to your gums. Dr. Mina Levi can provide her patients with the highest standard of care, performing many different functions at once. While gently shaping soft tissue, lasers will also seal off blood vessels and nerve endings. This prevents bleeding, decreases swelling and greatly reduces pain, all with little to no anesthetic.
How will I know that my doctor is qualified to use a laser?
By switching to laser dentistry your dentist has made a very strong personal investment. Owning a laser means that Dr. Mina Levi is committed to providing you with the highest standard of patient care. If you have any questions regarding Dr. Mina Levi's training or experience, do not hesitate to call us at (415) 513-5066.
Will the laser harm my eyes?
Before any procedure, Dr. Mina Levi will provide you with the required safety glasses. These glasses are especially designed to protect your eyes from the laser energy.