Titanium vs Zirconia Dental Implants
Dental implants are a great, and probably the best, option for patients looking to replace a missing tooth. Dental implants are metal or Zirconia anchors, which act as tooth root substitutes. They are surgically placed into the jawbone. Small posts are then attached to the implant, which protrude through the gums. These posts provide stable anchors for artificial replacement teeth. For most patients, the placement of dental implants involves one surgical procedure and oftentimes teeth can be placed immediately. The dental implant is a good alternative to full dentures or partial dentures, since it acts like a real tooth. Once a person and their cosmetic dentist have decided that dental implants are the right choice for them, the next big question is which implant to go with, titanium or Zirconia. In this article, we highlight the pros and cons of metal-free Zirconia implants to compare them against traditional titanium implants and give you the cosmetic dentistry knowledge you need to make an informed decision.
- Great for patients who have metal allergies. Zirconia implants are all ceramic and metal-free, which gives patients the implant option without risking an allergic reaction.
- More aesthetically pleasing. The Zirconia implants are all-white, which blends better with tooth color and does not leave the dark gray undertones of a metal implant.
- · Integrates better with soft tissues than the titanium implant.
- · All one piece. The Zirconia implant is one piece whereas the titanium implant is two pieces, so if anything happens to the top, the entire implant must be replaced.
- · Slower healing time. Zirconia implants take about 5-6 months to heal in comparison to the 3-4 months that titanium implants take.
- · More expensive. The cost of Zirconia dental implants is higher than the titanium implant option.
If you are in need of a dental implant consultation, for example if you are wearing a denture or need to have a tooth replaced, visit premier San Francisco metal free implant dentist D.r Mina Levi DDS on the web at www.minalevidds.com or give us a call at (415) 513-5066. More information regarding either Zirconia implants, titanium implants, the cost of dental implants or cosmetic dentistry is always available on our website.
Topics: San Francisco Implant Dentist, Cosmetic Dentistry, Zirconia Implant, Dental Implants, Titanium Implant, Cost of Dental Implants, Dentures, Partial Dentures, Missing Tooth, Missing Tooth Replacement, Cosmetic Dentist