New Year's Resolutions for Your Mouth
By Mina Levi, DDS 01/02/2014
As we kick off this New Year of 2014, many people will have New Year’s Resolutions involving their health such as “lose 10 pounds” or “eat healthier”. What some people will not think about though is to have New Year’s Resolutions for your mouth and oral health. Your smile goals as well as taking better care of your mouth and teeth are incredibly important, especially since your oral health is linked to your overall health. Below, we discuss five New Year’s Resolutions for your mouth and how you can accomplish them.
1. Whiter Smile. There are many ways to achieving a whiter smile this year. There is an at-home option where Dentist San Francisco Dr. Mina Levi will make customized whitening trays and provide you with concentrated whitening gel. There is also the very popular Zoom whitening in-office procedure. This procedure takes about an hour in the dental office and can achieve up to eight shades whiter in just one sitting! There are also many foods that can help you whiten your teeth, see the article “How to Keep Teeth White Through the Holidays” for more details.
2. Straighten Teeth. Some people are embarrassed by or unhappy with teeth that are crooked or out of alignment. Invisalign clear alignment is an option for straightening teeth that is nearly invisible, comfortable and easily removable for eating and keeping up with oral hygiene.
3. Reduce Cavities. The first step toward this goal is to visit the dentist to see if you have any cavities or areas of concern. If the areas of concern are early stage cavities, then Icon: No Drilling resin infiltration may be right for you. Icon treats areas that are in an early stage to stop the cavity from progressing without drilling. If the area is a later stage cavity, however, a filling or crown may be necessary. Either way, it is essential that you get a diagnosis as soon as possible so that any unhealthy tooth structure can be removed or healed.
4. Follow a Stricter Oral Hygiene Regimen. Many people are pretty lax about their daily oral hygiene routine. Some brush well but do not floss while others only brush their teeth once per day. This at-home routine is essential to optimal oral health. It is recommended that the teeth are brushed at least twice daily and flossed at least once per day. Also, it is very important to see the dentist at least twice a year to have a check up and get a professional cleaning done. These professional cleanings remove plaque and tartar that is not able to be removed at home, and if avoided this plaque will begin to eat away at healthy tooth structure.
5. Heal Periodontitis. Periodontitis is an inflammation of the gums that has progressed from gingivitis from plaque build-up. The best ways to heal periodontitis and achieve optimal gum health is to have professional cleanings done more often than usual and keep a very strict oral hygiene regimen. There is also another option for advanced periodontitis cases called Perio Protect, which delivers medication directly to the gums using custom-made trays.
For more information regarding your own smile or oral health goals for 2014, visit Dentist San Francisco Mina Levi DDS on the web at www.minalevidds.com or give us a call at (415) 513-5066. We wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals and wish you a Happy New Year!
Topics: New Year’s Resolutions, Oral Health, Teeth Whitening, Zoom Whitening, Cavities, Oral Hygiene, Icon, Perio Protect, Periodontitis, Gingivitis, Straighten Teeth, Invisalign, Dentist San Francisco